Sunday, January 27, 2013

New Year's Goal #1-CHECK!

I've decided I am going to start blogging a little more about my thoughts and adventures. Apparently, there is an entire world of "bloggers" out there, often Mormon moms, that I didn't even discover until I was introduced to Pinterest. They follow each other's blogs and go to conventions, and some even get paid. I have no interest in becoming a professional blogger, but I will share when I come across things I like.
  Last year, one of my book clubs discussed "The Urban Homestead" which talks about all kinds of things you can do to make your home and style of living more ...farm-like?? Well, that is what I got from it. 
The girl who hosted made her own yogurt and served it at book club. (I made my own pickles, which was also pretty easy and fun). It has been my goal to make my own ever since. I kept putting it off, but finally just make up my mind that I would try and it really was easy! I used this recipe which is supposed to make the yogurt thicker. Mine turned out pretty thin, but I also used skim milk. I think I'll try 2% next time.
These pictures are the finished product. The recipe uses 1/2 gallon of milk and makes what you see below (the yogurt container is full). I am not completely sold on it-it is, after all, just plain yogurt, but I'll probably try it again. I have to see if I end up eating it all. The biggest problem is that Tim will have nothing to do with it!

3 comments:

Adkins Family said...

That's pretty homemaker-ish of you. Can't you put some fruit or something in it to make it good? Maybe Tim would at least look at it then?

Aubrey said...

So cool, I've been wanting to try to make yogurt too. Ive also heard it's fun to make your own mozzarella.

Unknown said...

When making mozzarella, I've learned full fat makes better cheese and a higher volume of cheese too. Maybe it's the same with yogurt? I think it is awesome that you tried it :) It is on my list of things to try soon. Put a little honey on it and some fresh fruit and see if Tim will try it then :) Or use it in place of sour cream in recipes, you'll get hooked in no time