On Monday, December 30, 2013, Tim's grandparents took the Gordon Larsen family to Orlando and started our 4 day cruise to the Bahamas...all 34 of us! Grandpa got us a private bus for our shuttle from the hotel the boat. The drive let Ty sit in his seat and Ty was in heaven. Our boat was named Enchantment of the Seas. This is our room, notice the monkey our room attendant folded out of towels for us one night. Our first morning was spent at Carnival's private island. I LOVE the sun, especially on Dec 31st.
Ty did not like the water...or the sand. He pretty much didn't like our first stop.
The morning started out nice, but the wind picked up. Tim took the grandparents and Ty back early, but I stayed back for lunch on the island, then it started raining and the wind didn't stop. We had to be tendered to the ship by smaller boats, but the wind was so much worse than predicted that the small boats couldn't leave. We ended up waiting in line to get back to the boats for two hours. When they said it was safe enough, the small boat left with the group before us, and we all watch on edge as it tipped and sloshed in the waves making its way back to the boat. It can't be a good sign when even the workers were going out to see if it would make it. With concern, we got on the tender and headed back to the ship. My niece Mackenzie, who was sitting next to me, looked up at her dad and asked with all seriousness (a few times) "Are we going to die?" The first few waves were okay, but some water got in and was covering the floor. At the next wave I heard a scream and looked up to see a wall of water coming toward me. I pulled the towel over my head as it soaked me and everyone around me. Though wet, we made it back to the boat and were set in place by two other empty tenders pulled up next to us to hold us in place while people exited. The pictures below were of us waiting to exit. We all had big smiles because we were so happy to be alive. These pictures were taken before we got off the boat. Aubrey and I were the last two to leave (besides other workers). Just as I was stepping onto the ship, a huge wave hit us and knocked the ramp off it's mark. We were ordered to go sit back down as they backed the tender up and replaced the ramp. They then called for us to hurry as fast as we could off the boat. Men were lined up on both sides of us making a walls and they held our arms as they guided us into the ship. It was pretty crazy. Once we were back on the boat, Tim and Ty were waiting for us. They had heard others' crazy stories and were worried about us. Our cousins were on an earlier tender that was waiting for an hour in the middle of the water trying to wait for good enough conditions to dock at the ship and let people off. At one point they heard the captain shout to open another door. When the ship said no, they heard him yell, "It's now or never!" I'm really glad we are all safe.
The tender:
We lived to see 2014! Happy New Year! This was our formal night and I'm so bummed I didn't get any real pictures of me and Tim. We had to take turns with Ty and I opted to put him to bed, so I didn't get much celebrating in. At least we had a delicious dinner and Ty got to decorate cupcakes for dessert! Tim and Brian watched football on the big screen by the pool on New Years Eve.
New Years Day 2014: Nassau, Bahamas
Apparently, New Years Day is the biggest holiday in Nassau. They held a parade that lasted from 2am-10am and all of the shops were closed until 1pm. We opted to walk to the closest (but not nicest) beach. Ty even warmed up to the idea of a beach with water and sand. Ty loves his aunt "Alta" (he kept calling Aubrey the name of the dog we watched over Christmas). More beaches. We got lots of pina coladas at the shacks pictured. Scott brought croquet. Ty and Matthew liked to collect all of the mallets, so everyone playing had to share theirs. On the way back to the boat, Ty was too tired to be held, so he opted for a ride in Grandpa's wheel chair.| My Boys |
Activities on the boat included swimming, rock climbing and a bungee thing.
Above is Tim's cousin Taylor. He and Brian didn't love the bungee jumping, so I didn't try it, but I did do the rock climbing! I think Taylor started once I was half way up and he made it to the top at the same time as me (notice the bottom middle picture). Oh well.Our last night party had Ty and Shelby up dancing.
Ben and Diann put a game of Family Feud together that created a few laughs.
We all had flights the afternoon we got back, but they were almost all delayed. Don't worry, our 34 person family set up camp in the airport and kept busy. I love the top left pictures when the girls were playing with Nathan's hair.







3 comments:
I love cruises! That looked like SO much fun!
I think you should be our family historian. That was a great synopsis!
That's quite the adventure! I'm glad you all made it safely through the wind and rain! Looks like a fun trip!
Post a Comment