Monday, August 25, 2014

Colorado 101

Tim and I have been busy with our church callings this Summer. Tim is (still...for the third year) in the Young Men's Presidency and also the Scoutmaster. I (also for the third year, though not in a row) was the Young Women's Camp Director and also teach the six year olds in primary. This means we both went on separate camping trips recently. 
Ty and I also tagged along with the scouts when climbing Mount Bierdstadt, one of the "Fourteeners" in Colorado. You see, it's cool here to climb these 14,000+ feet mountains. One more thing while we're on the subject: camping when you drive and to your camping spot is called "car camping." If you just say you're going "camping," people who like to feel more outdoor-sy and superior to you ask you to specify if you are "car camping" or...I don't even know if they call it "camping" or something else I would just call "backpacking." Now you know enough to live in Colorado. It was a beautiful sight. Tim was a total trooper and carried Ty almost the whole way. Unfortunately, because we were with the 12 and 13 year old scouts, he had to be responsible and stay with a boy who complained the entire time and stopped about every ten feet. Surprisingly, they almost made it to the top.
You can find snow in July! (Yes, I sent this picture to my sister who lives in Phoenix!) I had never climbed a "fourteener" before (Tim had), so they let me go ahead. I made it!
  
And Girls Camp. To be honest, I wasn't really looking forward to girls camp this year. I don't love camping. I mostly don't love not showering, bugs, and sleeping on the ground. I DO like the young women in our ward, so I went and had a pretty good time. 
Our theme this year was pirates and "A Treasure Beyond Measure."
 I hate to brag, but I was kind of the tomahawk throwing champion! I didn't do to shabby with the bow and arrow either.

1 comment:

Rod and Diane Larsen said...

What adventures you all had this summer - fun!!!