Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Lucy's Birth Story

This is a bit long and detailed. I wrote it and will put it in Lucy's journal to remember, and am just cutting and pasting for anyone who is interested.



Contractions started almost two weeks before Lucy was born. They would often come in the evening, 10-20 minutes apart for an hour or two then subside once I relaxed into bed. Ty was almost two weeks early, so I was hoping Lucy would be a little early as well. At my 38 week appointment, my stomach was measuring only 35 weeks, so I was sent into a special room for more monitoring. I had an ultrasound to measure the fluid, which ended up okay, but then the nurse was worried about her heart rate. I was supposed to push a button every time I felt Lucy move. Lucy must have been really tired, because I really had a hard time feeling her move, but if I did push the button, her heart rate wasn’t going up. The nurse also told me I was having contractions, but I couldn’t feel anything. The doctor came to look at the results and ended up saying they were fine. I went home.

The whole week before Lucy’s due date, I was quite frustrated because Diney, Tim’s mom came and I didn’t want to “waste” the time she was here, plus I still felt contractions somewhat regularly, and somewhat painful in the evenings. 

Finally, Thursday evening, February 26th I was having more contractions, about 10-15 minutes apart. I watched the clock for a few hours, but they didn’t get any stronger or more regular. I finally went to sleep and vaguely remember waking up about every half hour, then from 1:30am-2:30am, I woke up every 10 minutes with contractions. I got up at 2:30 to take a shower, move around, and see if it changed how I felt. The contractions became less regular, but a little closer together. I finally called the nurse at 3am. She said we could go in if we wanted. I was nervous about a short labor, and snow had been falling for several days, so we were worried about the roads, so Tim and I went ahead and headed to the Exempla Good Samaritan hospital in Lafayette, Colorado (about 15 minutes away).

After a little waiting (and the security guard asking how far along I was because he said I wasn’t very big (I took this as a compliment!) we got up to the labor and delivery room and got hooked up. I was dilated to a 4 and was glad to actually be in labor. Once I laid down, the contraction immediately became stronger and more uncomfortable, but they kept me down to continue monitoring Lucy’s heart rate. 

Though I didn’t have a written “birth plan,” Tim and I had gone to a Labor Lab class to practice ways to cope with pain through contractions. I was mentally prepared in case my labor was progressing too quickly to get an epidural. I also wanted to be able to enjoy the birth, and not look back at it as being too traumatic (Ty’s was very quick). I decided to labor naturally for a while longer to see how quickly I was progressing. One hour later, the contractions were stronger, and I was still stuck in the bed hooked up to several cords. I was dilated to a 6, but decided to go ahead and get the epidural since I was stuck in bed anyway and unable to move around to cope with the pain. One thing I am grateful for was time to relax between contractions. My water had already broken with Ty, and I had very little rest between contractions with him. 

The anesthesiologist came in a while later, and I was comfortable just a few minutes after that. As I was moving back into the bed, I suddenly got very lightheaded and sleepy. My heart rate had dropped to 41 and blood pressure lowered. The nurses kept asking if I was a runner because my heart rate had only risen to 60 with contractions when most women’s rises to 100 bpm. I took something for my heart rate and then felt itchy all over my stomach, but figured I could manage. 

Contractions slowed way down once I had the epidural. They went from as close together as three minutes apart back to ten minutes apart, so I had some time to relax. I can’t remember now if I was given Pitocin or not. I kept thinking to myself, I can’t believe this is real and I’ll have a baby in my arms soon!

At one point, I asked the nurse if I needed to move around to break my water. She replied that it would most likely break on its own and I would feel or hear a popping sound, then she left the room. Immediately, I felt the pop and a gush of water. They checked my cervix, which was still dilated to a 6, cleaned me up, and left the room. I heard a code blue called and felt worried for whoever was having the code until a few nurses rushed in and I realized it was for me. The nurse checked me again (literally a two minutes later) and I was at a 9 ½ and almost ready to push. The baby’s heart rate had dropped, so I turned over to my side. I was so worried about Lucy, I just said a panicked prayer that she would be okay.  

It was almost 8:00am and the doctors were in transition. The first doctor came in and got suited up to deliver for my first push, then the second doctor, Dr. Weatherway, came in and got suited up for my last few pushes. I pushed for 8 minutes before she was out. The cord was around her neck twice, but my little Lucy was here and healthy!

I got to hold and feed her skin to skin for an hour before they took her to weigh and measure her. She weighed a tiny 5lb, 4.5ozs and was 20 inches long. Her fingers and toes were extremely long and skinny, and she had really long nails. She also had dark pretty hair, and Ty’s nose, mouth, and chin. She was beautiful and perfect. I kept thinking (and maybe saying out loud), “I can’t believe it! I love you so much!”

Because of her small size, the nurses had to check Lucy’s blood sugar before feedings. She ended up having one low number which lead to supplementation. This meant the nurses had to stay with me every feeding for almost 24 hours and stick a tube of donor milk into the corner of Lucy’s mouth while I also tried to feed her, then I had to pump. It made for an annoying time in the hospital, especially throughout the first night. I had to call the nurse, wait for them to get the donor milk ready, and have them in with me the whole feeding. Lucy was a good eater the whole time, and once her blood sugar was high enough, feeding her seemed like a breeze compared to what we had been doing!

Ty and Grandma Diney were able to come visit the afternoon after Lucy was born. Ty was excited to see his baby sister, and immediately asked to hold her once they met. He is a great big brother already. He showed so much interest in her right away and hasn’t been jealous (yet). He also showed concern for his mommy in the hospital, asking if I was feeling better. When leaving the hospital, Ty asked if we could bring Lucy home. When Tim told him the doctor said she needed to stay the night, Ty replied, “I’m so mad mad mad at that doctor!”

The hospital was amazing. Before checking out, I received a free 20 minute massage and they sent me home with a card signed by all of my nurses, and a full meal from the food services. All of the doctors and nurses were nice (one even held Lucy while I had my massage because Tim was out installing the car seat).

We took Lucy home the next day, and she has been an excellent eater and sleeper since. She’s only waken up at night to eat, then goes back to sleep, and at her 3 day visit (the nurse practitioner came to us), she was up to 5lb, 3oz, only 1.5 oz below birth weight. Her other tests also went well.

So far, I’ve enjoyed getting Lucy dressed in cute (mostly hand-me-down) outfits and matching bows. We already had some girl time when I gave her a “pedicure” by filing her long nails down. I thought it would be different having a girl instead of a boy, but it’s been fun, and I love her so much just the same.


No comments: