Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tanaya's Job!

After a long month, I have found a job! I am a Health and Fitness Specialist at Prince William Hospital Fitness Center in Manassas, VA. It is the same idea as my last job-I work for L&T Health and Fitness, but I am a contractor into the hospital. The hospital fitness center is different than other fitness sites because the fitness center is not only for employees, but for anyone in the community who would like to join. Because we're at a hospital, doctors may recommend us to patients, so about 80% of our population is over age 60. I love it!

As some of you know, I was the Gerontology Department Secretary at BYU for a year and a half, and I was able to organize the Gerontology Conference and participate in the World Senior Games for two years in a row. I love the older populations! I like the fact that the people at the fitness center are there to solve/prevent real health issues, and I've already seen progress in some of our members.

As a health fitness specialist, I get to perform health assessments which include body composition, blood pressure, cholesterol, flexibility, and cardio testing; write programs and train members on them; teach group exercise; and promote health in creative ways to people. I've been there for 7 days now, and I'm excited about the position as well as the fact that I have a job.

3 comments:

Sarah, Nick and Seth said...

That's so exciting Tanaya! It sounds like you already love your job and that's what really matters ... I bet the older "gentlemen" try and hit on you too ... you're the hot fitness expert! I love the older generation too ... they are so much fun! Congrats! :)

Rachel Ashmore said...

Congratulations Tanaya! =)

Joy Carlton said...

That great that you found a job that you really enjoy! Congrats!