Saturday, April 21, 2012

Baby Ty

Some parents think their kids are cute because they're theirs, but Ty is actually the cutest baby ever. Though we're just learning and adjusting, Ty is a good eater.  In the hospital, they worry if babies lose more than 10% of their body weight.  Ty got close (8%) simply because he was so small to begin with, but we found out at the doctor's office yesterday that he is now ahead of schedule. He was back up to 5lbs 12.5oz at 5 days!
Even cute when he cries

 Glamor Shot

Already practicing yoga

I will now share the birth story of how Ty came into the world because I found it helpful to read others' stories. Do not feel obligated to read this. (Warning: there may be TMI)

I was feeling a little uncomfortable and crampy all day on Sunday. Around 5pm, I felt some water trickle out, but it wasn't enough that I knew what was happening. Throughout the evening, it just kept coming a little at a time. I called Mindy who told me to call my Midwife Marilyn who said I could go get it checked at the hospital then or in the morning if I wanted. Since I wasn't having contractions or anything, I asked if I could just get some rest at home and check it out in the morning. That night I almost went visiting teaching, but Tim told me not to because I might leak on their couches-so I opted not to go. In the meantime, Tim installed the carseat-just in case it was the real deal.

I woke up around 2am with more cramping, but still wasn't sure if it was contractions because I felt it so low and I had heard that labor pains were higher because the top of the uterus was pushing down. Tim and I had planned on having a natural childbirth (without an epidural or anything), so we attended classes and read books to prepare for labor (breathing, positioning, relaxing, etc). The one thing we learned was that a lot of the beginning of labor would take place at home and we should just relax to pass the time, because first labors are usually LONG.

As the "cramping" became more regular, I tried to relax and breath through them. Tim was sleeping on the couch because he was getting over a cold, so I got up and walked around trying to let him sleep, then took a nice, warm shower. As I was blow drying my hair and breathing through a contraction, Tim woke up. I told him to start timing them, but I kept having two in a row and we never got a good count.  We did know they were becoming closer together. As we got in the car at 4am, I called my Marilyn and told her my contractions were 5-7 minutes apart and that I was feeling good, so she could take her time, but on the drive, we realized they were only 3 minutes apart! 

At the hospital, we checked in, got hooked up, and I got in the bath at the hospital to continue "relaxing" and breathing through contractions. Tim was a great coach and counted as I breathed. After about an hour or two (I'm not sure about timing after this), I was feeling pretty miserable and felt like I needed to push. I got up and walked around and said I was ready for an epidural. Marilyn checked me and said I was already dilated to a 7 then suggested I go ahead and push in the tub if I felt like I needed to. (I thought it was a terrible idea because I didn't want to have a water birth, nor was she trained for it. She assured me he would not pop out while I was in the tub, and didn't mention the epidural again.) 

Before getting back into the tub, I began to throw up as Tim held the trash can for me. This is, apparently, a good sign meaning I was entering the "transition phase" (aka WORST part) of labor. My contractions came two at a time and Tim tried to keep my mind on breathing as I started pushing. After what seems like minutes, I told Tim to find the nurse or midwife because I needed to get out of the tub and push!  I was finally dilated to a 9, so I got out of the tub and onto the bed to start pushing at 7:30am. All I'll say about pushing is that it was crazy and scary, but I wanted that baby OUT!  He obviously wanted to come out quickly, too, because he was born at 7:55 am.

I was surprised at how overwhelming things are after he was born. There were several nurses and their policy is to have him spend at least an hour in mom's arms, but they kept checking him while in my arms and the midwife was sewing me up all while they were trying to teach me how to feed him. It was nicer once we moved to the post postpartum room and were able to have some quiet time, and even better now that we're home. 

I am still healing and taking it easy. Tim has been a HUGE help around the house and with Ty. I still look at him and wonder how he was grown inside of me and was still there on Sunday.  Now he is here and he is perfect. We definitely love him.


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! He is adorable! I love reading birth stories, makes me re-live my girls births :) Fast labors are great, no need to draw it all out. Hope everyone continues to do well adjusting to life at home with a new one! Congrats again!!!

Adkins Family said...

He is so cute. You look good too...you don't even look like you've been up most of the night for the previous few nights! Get some rest and enjoy this time when you are able to just sit and adore him all day and not do anything else.

Jenn said...

He's darling!!! And I love to read others' birthing experiences. It helps me know what to expect the next time. Congratulations you guys. We are so excited!

Holly June said...

Way to go, Tanaya! :) ( And I'm glad I'm not the only one who had uncontrolled vomiting during labor!!) He is adorable and I hope he starts letting you get more and more sleep as the days progress. Love you! :)

IdaJohn said...

You're not just partial, he really is the cutest baby! It was fun reading your birth story. Can you believe you went through all that?

Kristen said...

Oh my gosh, he is seriously so cute! He looks so tiny. I can't wait to meet him, he'll be huge by the time the fourth of july rolls around :( I'll call you sometime soon, I'm curious how things are going for you.

Aubrey said...

I keep coming to your blog all the time because I love looking at cute baby Ty. I especially love the picture where he is crying! It is just too cute. I can't wait to meet the little guy!!

Britt said...

Congratulations! What a cutie!!

Jill Emett said...

Tanaya - He is such a beautiful baby!! I am so happy for you. Your mom would have loved being there to hold him and take care of you. He was pretty tiny and just so perfect. Can't wait to see him.