Friday, May 17, 2013

Friday Find: Kitchen Counter Cooking School

This book has seriously changed the way I think about cooking. It is a novel (not just a reference or recipe book, so it is fun to read) about the author, a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu, teaching kitchen basics to regular people. Since I started this book, I have bought and cooked a whole chicken (a little more traumatic that I thought it would be-I'm not ready to de-bone it yet, but I am working on it), made my own vinaigrette, and started using real salt and pepper that I have to grind myself! This book taught me that it is okay to try to cook something even if I don't end up liking it, and especially to try recipes even if I have to make ingredient substitutions. As the subtitle insinuates, I have found myself more "fearless" in the kitchen. I believe I will re-read this book as well as refer back to it often.

No comments: