Sunday, June 30, 2013

Utah: Part the Last

 
 It's taken me a while to blog this, but our last weeks in Utah were a lot of fun. Tim worked hard on his research while Ty and I played! We caught up with many old friends and went on a few adventures on our own. These pictures are from the farm at Thanksgiving Point.
 I only stepped away from holding him to take this picture (below), I promise!
 Our favorite thing was the hayride. We went twice! By our second time, Ty was SO TIRED.
 ...and this is how the day ended up:
 It was our ten year high school reunion down in St. George, and the stars aligned to bring some of my friends from various parts of the country to the same city (though not St. George) for various reasons, so we had a great time catching up at dinner.
Me, Janeen Martin, Michelle Prince, and Heather Tebbs
  When discussing getting together, Michelle asked if I wanted to do the Utah Valley Half Marathon with her. I figured it would be a good time and bring back memories from running down the canyon while at BYU, so I agreed and started my two week half marathon training plan. 

It wasn't until after I signed up that I realized we had to be there for the buses (a 45 minute drive) before 4am! The bus dropped us off at a random spot in the canyon over an hour before the race started that looked like this:
 After walking a little ways in the cold darkness, we found that there were fires set up, but they air was filled with smoke and I had trouble breathing if I was near them too long.The next hour was spent trying to stay warm without shivering away all of my energy and keep my airways clear.
We still had fun taking pictures.
Before
 It was light enough to see by the time the race started and we had beautiful views as we ran down the canyon. The race finished along University Avenue, so I ran past BYU campus and Tim's old apartment building and enjoyed my stroll through memory lane.
After
After the race, we went to the BYU creamery (see previous blog post) and visited TJ's family then visited the Thevenin's who moved to Springfield from Colorado last year. Benjamin went to CU for his PhD and got a job at BYU, so they are an inspiration to us as Tim is working on his PhD.
  They have two cute boys Ty liked playing with.
Me and Em
 The next week, Ty had a play date with my old roommate Megan's son Will. They are only three weeks apart! So cute!
 And by the end of the trip, Ty had finally warmed up to Grandma and Grandpa Larsen. 
 Ty Gordon and Great Grandpa Gordon
 We enjoyed getting to see everyone!

1 comment:

Adkins Family said...

How fun to see your high school friends! And everyone else! I'm glad you got to have fun while Tim was working hard.