Sunday, June 19, 2011

My Dad

I'm not very good and Mother's and Father's Day, and I didn't even send my dad a card or gift this year (he's the hardest person in the world to buy for), so I thought the least I can do is to dedicate this post to him of just a few of the things I love about him.
I always considered myself a "Daddy's Girl." Though I have more than I can write, some of my favorite memories from growing up are him coming home from work and smelling like the car air fresheners as I run up to hug him, going on walks with him, dad being the one up when I get home from late nights in high school, and wrestling dad (or watching TJ get beat by dad) for our family home evening activity.
His favorite saying, or so it seems, is "Life's not fair." That is what he always said to me as I complained of school, grades, boys, and life. I never liked when he said it, but I know it's true, and I occasionally imagine him saying it to me whenever I find myself complaining in my mind.
My dad is cool. He (and my mom) get into really fun activities like mini-biking, paintball, and currently shooting. We used to go camping a lot and on a few bike rides as a family. I never worry about being bored in St. George.
He also has a good sense of humor. Last summer I was driving with Kristen in Northern Utah and we were supposed to be following my parents but ended up following the wrong van and taking a little detour. Later, we pulled up behind them and he had written on the back window, "Follow this van!"
He is a great example of working hard and accomplishing goals. He went back to get his Certified Respiratory Therapist degree while I was at Dixie and I can still remember seeing him on campus. It was fun! Not only that, but then he carried out his dream and started his own business. He works really hard.
I am lucky to have such a great dad. He doesn't always get to spend a lot of time with his grandkids, but they love him so much, too. This picture is just my favorite.

Happy Father's Day, Dad. I love you!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

What a sweet tribute! I love that picture. Your dad has a great sense of humor, too. What a great idea, to share your memories of him.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for sharing those memories. Dads are great :)

Rod and Diane Larsen said...

What a special gift to your dad -- better than anything you could have wrapped up!