Friday, August 1, 2008

Nightmare in Nashville

Well, we are not in Virginia yet.

I have to tell you, I've had a lot of faith to quit my job, pack up all of our stuff, and drive across the country (well, with a 20 hour detour to San Antonio) to live in a place I'm not familiar with, but I feel like I've had a good attitude...until now. Though we pretty much have nothing worldly to our name, we've had a good car, and been very thankful for it. You've probably read my past posts about it's problems, but few have been serious.

As it happens, we had planned to drive 14 hours from San Antonio to Nashville one day, and 11 hours the next day up to Washington DC so we could save money on hotels, etc. Well, last Wednesday we had driven over 12 hours and things were going well when all of a sudden, our car jumped a little bit and we lost power to accelerate. Tim pulled over on I-40, and we looked under the hood only to hear a clicking sound. A cop followed us 4 miles to the nearest exit and we spent the night at a hotel in the middle of nowhere. We got towed 90 miles to Nashville (Franklin, actually) and had the car looked at at a Honda dealership. We expected the worst and even thought about the options of buying a new car, so we were somewhat relieved to find out it was NOT the engine (phew!). The problem is the timing belt. Yes. The timing belt we spent over $500 getting replaced in Provo 3 months ago so we wouldn't have any problems. The dealership said the place that replaced the belt before didn't put the screws on right and may have even dropped one into the engine which caused the timing belt to break and ruin a few other things under the hood. Now we're stuck in Tennessee at least until Monday and I've had it! DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR TO JAPANESE AUTO REPAIR on 300 S in Provo! More like Japanese Auto RUIN! I will update you later, but I had to vent.

5 comments:

*Aliese* said...

That makes me so mad!!! I've had my car "fixed" numerous times and had to have it RE-fixed numerous times. The nice part is if you still have your receipts, they HAVE to fix it again or give you your money back if it's in a certain window of time. If they don't, you can report them. Man, what a pain!!!

Kristen said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry about that. I would be really mad too. Just remember, in 3 years you will look back and this story and laugh.

Sarah, Nick and Seth said...

Oh my goodness! I know that seems so unfair, but you'll make it to D.C. and everything will end up working out. You guys should have let me know and i could have gotten you hotel rates so you could save some money ... always, always call me before trips/vacations...i can always see if the friends and family rate is available. Don't hesitate to ask ANYTIME!

Adkins Family said...

Sorry about your car issues. It's got to be very frustrating. At least you don't really have anything to be in DC for right away. It could be worse! Good luck with everything. Makayla says hi!

Joy Carlton said...

That really stinks. I am glad that I was able to finally met you though. I hope your travels are better now.