Friday, August 15, 2008
Our Day Downtown
As promised, Tim and I went to downtown DC (or "the District" as some locals say it -but I will probably never call it that). We've both been there several times, so I wanted to do something I hadn't done before. We went to the National Archives and saw the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights, and the Constitution. The building also had a pretty cool display of historical political cartoons from election years. It was pretty fun. I now need to watch National Treasure again.
Since I got to make the agenda, I also wanted to go to Arlington National Cemetery. I've been there once before (thanks to Jessica S.), but I remembered the changing of the guard was pretty cool. We got there and headed up to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier when it started POURING! I'm not kidding. This was a full out tempest -one set of stairs looked like a waterfall. We took cover under a tree for a while, but it wasn't letting up, so we took our flip flops off and started running back. We ended up getting lost in the cemetery (it's bigger than I remembered) and got back to the Visitor Center just as it let up and got sunny again. The dry European tourists were just walking out to see everything as we came up soaked to the bone. We left without seeing the changing of the guard. At least we'll get a chance to go back again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Ahhh you must have been out during that crazy rainstorm yesterday!!! I was downtown yesterday too...too bad I didn't run into you guys! Of course, I was on a scavenger hunt and I looked ridiculous, so you may or may not have recognized me. Anyways, if you want to go to some places you haven't been before, just call me...I can take you :)
I'm jealous you get to go do and see everything! Pick out all the best places and you can take us when we come out to visit you some day.
The picture of Tim makes me laugh ... it looks like you guys are at least having a good time enjoying D.C.
How fun was that trip we went on?? I hope all is going well back east.
Post a Comment