Sunday, May 3, 2009

Williamsburg Post #2

My last post was so long and I really didn't have time to write everything I was thinking about. My first experience actually east of Utah was with my friend, Jessica, to Williamsburg, so going back was a lot of fun. We did a lot of different things this trip, but we actually stayed in the exact same condos! So shout out to Jessie that I thought of you a lot during my visit. I also remembered what I had thought my first time to the east: that there were so many trees! Now that it is spring, I am reminded of this often. Below are some fun pictures of us on the ferry.
Tim and I went to Norfolk before beginning our exciting vacation. We spent all morning trying to rent kayaks or find a beach, but nothing was really open this early. We picked grandma and grandpa up from the airport and took them to the botanical gardens instead. I was really excited until I found out we missed the very last tour bus around the 12 mile park. Why they made us pay without telling us this important fact I'll never know, but we managed to make it around some pretty trails near the entrance. We happened to be there at the peak Azalea (sp?) blossom time.
In the middle of this next picture is a bald eagle in a natural habitat. Just to the right there was a nest with baby birds sticking their heads out! It was really neat to see.
Monday morning we visited the site of Yorktown and took a tour by Ranger Ted (...actually his name was Steve or something, but when we were at the Jamestown Ntl. Park I saw a sign that said "Ranger Led Tours" and I thought it said "Ranger Ted Tours.") To tell the truth, American history never really stuck in my brain because I lived so far from all of the war locations, but I've really learned a lot since living here. For those of you like me, the battle of Yorktown was the battle that won our independence from the British during the Revolutionary War. It has water on one side where the French fleets helped us out (just in time) and on land, we dug tons of fox holes to get close enough to make the British to surrender. So this is the place Americans won their freedom!

1 comment:

Sarah, Nick and Seth said...

I love all the trees too! It's just so pretty ... Scott's shirt = AMAZING!!!!