Monday, July 27, 2009

Janeen and a Luau

My good friend and college roommate Janeen finally came out for a visit! I took a day off work and rode to DC for some museums and fun! We started out at the Natural History Museum where I saw the diamond Tim gave to me before I donated it to the museum for display...because it was so big and rare.
Later we went to the Holocaust Museum. I didn't want go to through the entire exhibit, so I looked at an exhibit on Hitler's Propaganda (2 pictures below). One picture shows a game board for children in which the entire point is to drive Jews out of the country. It was really interesting...and crazy.
When I got done with the other exhibits, Janeen and her other friends were not finished, so I decided to go to the Smithsonian Castle. It had the most random things inside such as the original 3 seated American Idol desk, and a pile of "Smithsonian treasures" from the new Night at the Museum movie! After seeing all of the other Smithsonians, the castle is sure a letdown.In the evening, we all ate dinner in Old Town Alexandria and took a Ghost Tour. It was a lot of fun. Thanks for coming Janeen!
Saturday was our sister-in-law DeAnne's birthday. Scott (Tim's brother and DeAnne's husband) wanted to go all out with a luau, so we celebrated hard core.
Tim even hollowed out 15 pineapples and saved the tops so we could put smoothies in and drink from the cool straws (look closely below-it's actually a smoothie cup!)
We all ate delicious Hawaiian-themed food before we got rained out.
The awesome decorations of the "Party House" aka Aubrey's party house.

Happy Birthday DeAnne! Hope you had a great one!

6 comments:

*Aliese* said...

Good job at donating the big diamond. America appreciates your generosity! :)

Adkins Family said...

Wow! That's quite the party! How long did it take Tim to hollow out 15 pineapples? I'm impressed!

Rod and Diane Larsen said...

We won't tell a soul that the "diamond" you donated is really cubic zirconia, and you still have the real one! Sounds like a fun day in DC (and evening in Alexandria)

Michelle said...

How fun that you got a visit from Janeen! And that was really generous of you to donate your diamond. Those pineapple cups would have been a LOT of work. I don't think I have that kind of patience. What a fun party!

Sarah, Nick and Seth said...

Wow! i'm so jealous of those pineapple drinks! Why didn't I think of that??? I'm for sure going to try that at our next party!

Amelia Brame said...

Hahaha I never knew you had such a big and rare precious gem ;) But I'm jealous that you got to see Janeen! No fair! She better come visit me one day... but who in their right mind ever comes to Mississippi? :)