We had been planning to get Ty a bike for months. I'd searched Craigslist and several stores online, and finally decided on a good deal for a bike at Walmart. I had promised Ty we could go get it after preschool on Wednesday, so we headed there. Wednesday had already been kind of an off day because I got caught up vacuuming and started the day late, then Lucy wouldn't go down for a nap. Once we made it to Walmart (after having tried earlier until Lucy had finally fallen asleep in the car), I realized I forgot my wallet, so we headed home and back for a third time. The kids were wild and ornery as I grabbed a few groceries, but we made it home, bike in tow.
Once home, I took Ty for a quick ride around the driveway showing him how to pedal, then I parked the bike in the garage to unload groceries. Before I even got the last bag inside, I heard Ty crash. I ran to him and immediately could see his arm was not right. I panicked and called Tim. I didn't know if I should go to the ER, and Instant Care facility, or just call his Pediatrician! I founded the insurance card and called as I headed to the only ER I knew of (turns out, Rome has no Instant Care facilities, but elbow injuries are fairly complicated and should probably always go straight to the ER).
We got in fairly quickly at the ER. Ty was very brave, and just kept just saying he wanted a band-aid on his arm. He had to wait quite a while, and even get x-rays and his IV, before they gave him any medication. The X-rays showed a fracture on his ulnar and a dislocated elbow. Luckily, he wouldn't need surgery. The Orthopedist was able to come in, and with seven people monitoring and working on Ty, they got his elbow back into place and a soft cast set. During the process, Ty had a medication that kept his eyes awake, but he was pretty out, so he didn't feel anything.
As Ty was coming to, Tim finished his evening class and made it. He took Lucy and Ty and I waited for more X-rays. Once we got the clear, we stopped at the pharmacy and then Chick Fil A before heading home for a good night of sleep.
It's kind of funny because I had been having such a bad day, but once in the ER, I just felt so grateful. I was grateful I was only there for a broken arm. That otherwise, my kids are both healthy. Grateful for modern medicine so Ty wouldn't have to deal with intense pain or lasting problems. Grateful that I knew I could walk out of the ER with my son, when I know others aren't so lucky. It actually helped my day go much better.
You can see in the left picture above the bone poking out. The bend is NOT his elbow, but the side of his arm.
Lucy thought the whole thing was pretty exciting.
Ty will see a doctor next Wednesday, but will most likely have a cast on for 4 weeks.
The next day, he had very little pain, and even got on his bike while I pushed him around. He's doing very well.

No comments:
Post a Comment