Monday, August 2, 2010

Arenal and La Fortuna

After an exciting drive through mountains, over bridges, and around other crazy drivers, we arrived in the town of La Fortuna. The area is famous for having an active volcano called Arenal. This was actually my favorite stop in Costa Rica. It helped that we had a cute cabin...
The town with the volcano right next to it
The first thing we did was take a hike through the rain forest on hanging bridges.
There were some amazing views!That evening we went to some hot springs. This particular site had about 15 pools. Each were different temperatures. We ate dinner there, but not in the water. Take a look at the top left picture. The bar stools are in the water!

On our second day in La Fortuna, we hiked to a better view of the volcano. It was crazy because some of the hike looked like desert and other parts were rain forest. I liked this hike because Tim and I got our first taste of Costa Rican monkeys! We saw 5! (Pictures to come)

We also did a short hike to a huge, beautiful waterfall. Jon and Tim got in, but the water was freezing-No thanks!


5 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh my gosh! That looks like so much fun. I am sooo jealous, but I'm so happy you and Tim went on an exciting trip before you have kids. TJ and I are always talking about how jealous we are of you two off on all your adventures. Love you, can't wait to see you TOMORROW!

Rod and Diane Larsen said...

Ok, maybe I could do a hanging bridge after all -- I had pictured something much more rickety. Gorgeous pics -- cute cabin!

Aubrey said...

Those hanging bridges look awesommmmmme

Adkins Family said...

That looks so amazing! I would be scared to death to walk on that bridge. I'm glad you guys had a good time. It looks awesome!

Linz said...

Wow. Beautiful. And to think that Paul and I could have been there with you. We missed out.