Saturday, August 13, 2016

New Romans

"Y'all aren't Romans then?"

This is what our neighbor who was bringing us a big plate of cookies said when we told her we had just moved here. 

We've been in Rome, Georgia about a month now and are settling in. I was reading a few old journals the other day and realized how negative I am when I journal. I want to change that, so this blog is going to double as my journal. The only catch is that I will try to post often, and my posts have to be positive. My hypothesis is that when I record on the positive events, I will have happier memories. 

To start, I want to review this past month. We got here to our new house mid-July. My first thoughts:
  1.  Rome is really hot and HUMID. I want to yell to everyone, "Do you know you don't have to live with this humidity? There are places where it is actually nice to be outside!"
  2. The people here are quite friendly.
  3. Rome is really run-down. There are a lot of poor people.
  4. There are not many people at church our age with kids. Who am I going to be friends with?
  5. Low intensity YMCA classes. Everything in the morning is for older adults.
  6. Most of the moms work.
  7. People here are not very good at email/technology or maybe they don't want to email me back ever? It's like going back in time 15 years. 
  8. The library and parks could use some work. Maybe I can be Rome's Leslie Knope?
  9. There is good food here. I do like the Honeymoon Bakery and Pick O Deli!
  10. There are so many bugs here.
So...not extremely positive. However, things are getting better. I am starting to like Rome. Current thoughts:
  1.  I think it's a good sized city for me. I feel like if I want to get involved I could (and channel Leslie Knope vibes).
  2. Along those same lines, if there aren't things going on like a playgroup, I'd be happy to start one. Maybe I can make a difference here.
  3. I've met more people at church and really like our ward. 
  4. A new family moved in. They live close and have young kids and a lot in common. An answer to my prayers!
  5. I met another mom pushing a stroller on the trail running this morning and we are running together later this week!
  6. Berry College campus has so much to explore. I'm super excited to get involved in supporting their sports teams, art, and businesses.
  7. In fact, I signed Lucy up for a Kindermusik class that starts this Wednesday. I'm excited to do something like this with Lucy one on one while Ty is at PreK.
  8. Ty hates going to preschool in the mornings, but his teacher is nice. The owner of the childcare/preschool went to CU like Tim!
  9. The technology thoughts haven't changed. People are really bad at emailing back.
  10. I'm blessed to have a nice house. It's a lot of work, but it helps me appreciate it.
There are a lot of deer on Berry College campus. Below Ty and Tim are watching them.
Then we tried to have lunch at a duck pond on campus (picture below), but the ducks were too scary, so we didn't stay long.
 
 Just a little fun.
 Before Ty started PreK (everyday from 8-2:30), we ventured to Cartersville to check out the Tellus Science Museum.
 
 
  
 Fun at home. 
 Ty was being the people from Rescue Bots. Above he is Cade the Firefighter, and below he is Graham the engineer/construction guy. Lucy is just cute.

1 comment:

Amelia Brame said...

Sounds a lot like Vicksburg! Haha especially the technology stuff... holy cow it's so hard to get people up to speed! Our communication is terrible in our ward because no one uses email! It's so bizarre.
Moving is so hard... especially with little kids. I'll pray that the town will continue to grow on you!